Little Family

Little Family

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Oatmeal Win

I get all my great ideas on Pinterest, I admit. But I figure I can still take credit if I do the work myself. So, I saw online how to make your own oatmeal packs. It's a way to save a few bucks or to know exactly what was put into your food (both things I'm fairly interested in). This was super easy, cheap and quick. 
I got a large bag of Quick Oats from Sharp Shopper. I'm pretty sure they have to be "quick." The bag was twice the size as pictured and only $3!

Then I portioned 1/2 cup oats into snack baggies. These are good adult sized portions so for kids they can easily be halved. I added 1.5 T of brown sugar to each bag. Online recipes called for more but I think this is plenty.

When ready to use I just dump the contents of the baggie into a bowl, add enough water to cover the oats, and microwave for 2 minutes. I add a dash of cinnamon, a splash of milk to make it creamy and for the past two days I had fresh strawberries to throw in.
So, for less than $6 I have enough supplies to make breakfast for a month. I'd call that a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment